Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DIY Dog Potty: Day 1



So there have been numorous so-called "dog potties" invented in the last few years. The better of which are the PetaPotty ($159 for the smallest model), PortchPotty ($225 for the smallest model), and DoggySolutions (starting at $199). All of which are fairly ingenious, very expensive to start, and usually expensive-ish to maintain.


Upon moving to Philadelphia and to a tiny 12th floor apartment I've been plotting my own dog pee solution. The one I've had as of late has been the Tidy Cats Breeze which I use inside in the bathroom. However I did try a number of things for out on the patio: plastic containers with kitty litter, an interesting round contraption with a drain and fake grass that my dad made, wee-wee pads on a holder. None of which was particularly successful. Kitty litter sticks to my little dog's wet nose every time she goes anywhere near it, plus it stuck to her paws and she would then eat it off. She never particularly liked the wee-wee pads (the surrounding concrete patio was more liked), she hated the small grass round thing (too small perhaps).

Thus we have come to this: grass. The idea seems sort of doomed to fail, yet I haven't been able to find anyone who's given it an honest shot. I'll keep my tidy cats breeze and continue to take her for her social/brain stimulating trots down to the dog part/real world. But perhaps "real" grass might be a helpful adjunct for the tiny apartment dog-life.

Limitations:
1) Must withstand dog urine (Solution: water, lime)
2) Must live in partial shade, as there is a balcony above me (Solution: shady grass type)
3) Must continue to live (Solution pending)


Plastic Container from home depot: $18.99
40" x 20 3/8" x 7"

1 bag of potting soil (35 qts): $9.27 (**note that I used this plus some of a leftover bag of soil I had from last summer)

Lime, 5 lb: $3.99

Sun & Shade Grass, 1 lb: $4.49

Watering can: $8.99

TOTAL: $45.73 (and only $36.74 if you already have a watering can)


The first thing I did was drill holes along one edge of the plastic container for drainage. I drilled one little hole first and then made it larger with a bigger bit to keep the plastic from cracking. This seemed to work great, no cracks.

In this picture you can see the larger hole on the left and the starter on the right.

Here they are as a finished row

Then I added the soil




A handful of lime




An even sprinkled layer of grass seed


And last, but not least, some water!


Done!

3 comments:

  1. so the pee just grains out of the small holes u drilled/ is there a smell or does it drain well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Are you using the top of the container to catch the drainage? I'm going to use one of these inside my Sophie's play pen while I'm out at work all day. I'm also going to attempt building a wooden frame around it to make it blend in with the house so it'll look more like a houseplant instead of Sophie's bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just curious to know how this worked out in the end? Was it successful? Were you able to keep the grass alive and did your little pup eventually use it?

    ReplyDelete